Halloween’s this weekend, so time to find something to play that will get you in the right mood. 2010 has been a relatively slow year for horror games, but there were five new releases that might be perfect for some quick scares. Whether you’re looking for gory or just plain unsettling, one of these might be the right pick for you.
Let’s look at five thrilling 2010 game releases:
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Windows, Mac): A first person horror game where players are trapped in Brennenburg Castle with a number of horrible creatures and have to find a way out. You have to manage your character’s health and sanity to survive.
- Dementium II (DS): You must help a man named William Redmoor escape from the frightning Bright Dawn Treatment Center. It’s short, but surprisingly scary for a DS game.
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (PS2, PSP, Wii): A reimagining of the original Silent Hill that focuses on puzzle and adventure, and no combat. All the monsters look the same, which makes it more unsettling than really scary.
- Saw II: Flesh & Blood (PS3, Xbox 360): Help Michael Tapp survive Jigsaw’s tests while also trying to learn more about his father, Detective Tapp. This game’s more about the gore than the scares, much like the movies.
- Hydrophobia (Xbox 360): You are trapped below decks of the Queen of the World as it is flooding, and have to try and find a way to escape. Most of the scares here come from wondering if you’ll actually survive.
I’d say go for Hydrophobia. It’s quite thrilling and looks cool. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is also a good candidate for Halloween scares, but don’t expect to see a wide selection of scary creatures.
So, what do you think? What scary games will you be playing on Halloween?