Gamers have been getting increasingly nostalgic lately. We’re seeing more and more games get re-released in either their original form, or enhanced with HD resolution graphics. We’re also seeing games such as Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Duke Nukem Forever cashing in on the fond memories we have of their predecessors. This March will be the beginning on a 16-bit explosion in the PlayStation Store courtesy of Sega.
Sega is bringing back six classic games from its catalog for the PlayStation Network. A new game will be released each month from March to August for $4.99 each. If you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber, every last one of these games will be free. They’ll also be released two weeks early for PS Plus subscribers with the exception of Sonic the Hedgehog. That game will be available to PS Plus subscribers almost a month before non-subscribers. You’ll have one month to download each game before the free offer expires. As with all free PlayStation Plus games, the’ll magically disappear once your subscription lapses.
Oh and one more thing. Every game has trophies. Boom.
The list of games is posted for you below. I would like to suggest Comix Zone as the title you should pay particular attention to. The dates in parenthesis correspond to each game’s release date for those who aren’t PS Plus subscribers.
- Sonic the Hedgehog – Available March 1 – April 5 (March 29)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – Available April 5 – May 3 (April 19)
- Streets of Rage 2 – Available May 3 – May 31 (May 17)
- Golden Axe 2 – Available May 31 – July 5 (July 14)
- Comix Zone – Available July 5 – August 2 (July 19)
- Altered Beast – Available August 2 – August 30 (August 16)