A slight taste of irony has washed over the videogame industry. The NPD Group put together a list of the highest selling videogames of all time according to revenue earned. This top ten list contains three publishers – Nintendo, Activision and MTV Games. The top earner on this list is none other than Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock. The game brought in $830.9 million. At this time, GH III has brought in more revenue than Call of Duty: Black Ops.
What makes this list so ironic is the timing. Activision recently disbanded the Guitar Hero and DJ Hero business units because they weren’t bringing in the cash like they used to. Also on this list in the seventh position is Guitar Hero World Tour. The NPD Group only provided dollar amounts for the first five games on its list. All we know is that World Tour made less than $670.7 million.
To be fair, these two Guitar Hero games were priced differently than some of the other games on the list. Guitar Hero was shipped with bundles that were more expensive than the traditional $50-$60 game. The Guitar Hero games were also released on multiple platforms. This still proves how far the instrument-based genre has fallen since 2007.
- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock–Activision–$830.9 million
- Call of Duty: Black Ops–Activision–$787.4 million
- Wii Fit–Nintendo–$736.6 million
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2–Activision–$713.6 million
- Rock Band–MTV Games– $670.7 million
- Wii Play–Nintendo
- Guitar Hero World Tour–Activision
- Wii Fit Plus–Nintendo
- Mario Kart Wii–Nintendo
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare–Activision