Ok! Nintendo’s E3 2011 keynote presentation is done! Did you read along with Gamertell’s live-blog? Kirk Hiner and I both kept up with each announcement, from the Wii U reveal, to the Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary and 3DS game announcements.
In case you missed the conference, here’s a brief look at some of the biggest news that came Nintendo on June 7, 2011.
- The Wii successor is called Wii U. Yes, it’s actually Wii U. It will be released in 2012.
- The Wii U controller will have 6.2″ touch screen in the center. There will be two circle pad analog sticks in the upper right and left corner. A camera is above the touch screen, facing the player. A microphone is below the touch screen. There will be two speakers built into it. A standard D-pad will be on the left below the circle pad, and X, Y, A and B buttons will be on the right below the other circle pad. There will be L, R, ZL and ZR buttons on the back of the controller. Rumble features, a gyroscope and an accelerometer will be built into the controller.
- The Wii U will let you play a game with both screens or, if someone comes in and wants to use the TV, you can switch and play the game on the screen on the controller. It will be an HD screen and HD system.
- A few Wii U games were hinted at. It looks like it will get a Legend of Zelda. It will definitely get Smash Bros. Darksiders II will be a launch title. The Lego City Stories, Assassin’s Creed, Batman: Arkham City, Tekken, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online, Dirt, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Metro: Last Light and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge are all coming to the Wii U as well.
- The Lego City Stories and Smash Bros are also coming to the 3DS.
- 5 new first party 3DS games are on the way – Luigi’s Mansion 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Super Mario 3D, Star Fox 64 3D and Mario Kart 3DS. All except Luigi’s Mansion 2 were given 2011 release windows.
- Club Nintendo members who buy and register Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D will get a free soundtrack.
- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords will be released as a free DSiWare download.
- A Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Concert tour will be held worldwide in 2011.
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword will be out in Q4 2011. A gold Wii remote will be released at the same time.
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening will be added to the 3DS eShop later today.
At the last moment at the press conference, Nintendo had the screens show the image above with all the different game logos for forthcoming titles. There are a lot there and some were hard to see, but a few surprised popped up. Kirby Wii, Rhythm Heaven, Dragon Quest Monsters 2, Paper Mario and Mario Party 9 logos all showed up, so it looks like we’ll be seeing those games on the Wii, DS and 3DS in 2011 and 2012.