If you pre-ordered Batman: Arkham City because you just had to have an extra costume for Batman, you may be a little sad to hear that all the pre-order costumes have been bundled together as DLC. Even more sad is that it’s actually kind-of affordable DLC at that. So here you spent full price for a game that was very easily found for $29.99 on Black Friday 2011, and a bunch of other people will be able to get the exact same thing and every pre-order costume for a lot less. Of course, that is one of the hazards of being a Day One adopter.
There were seven different promotional Batman skins released before or when Batman Arkham City was released. Some required people to pre-order the game from a certain store. Others asked you to buy unrelated products to get a precious code tucked within. Now, all seven can be found together now for $4.99/400 Microsoft Points. Actually, the PlayStation Store doesn’t have them yet, they’ll appear there on December 13, 2011.
Let’s take a look at the different faces of Batman presented in the Arkham City Skin Pack, and remember what people originally had to do to earn said costumes.
- 1970′s Batman – Toys R Us pre-order
- Animated Batman – GameStop pre-order for Power-Up Rewards members
- Batman Beyond – code from NOS energy drink
- The Dark Knight Returns Batman – code from Batman: Arkham City collector’s edition
- Earth-1 Batman – Amazon pre-order in Europe
- Sinestro Corps Batman – code from the Green Lantern extended cut Blu-ray
- Year One Batman – FNAC.com pre-order
I suppose $5 is still a little steep for only seven character costumes that just change a character’s appearance. Still, they could have cost a lot more. I mean, look how much Capcom likes to charge for its Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom 3 costume packs.