I saw a preview screening of the animated feature, The Secret World of Arrietty, this weekend. The film was created by the Japan-based Studio Ghibli and releases by Disney with English language dialogue. It’s another tale based on a series of books by Mary Norton titled The Borrowers published in the 1950s and ’60s. This version got a Hayao Miyazaki makeover.
The Borrowers are tiny people who live in the nooks and crannies of larger people’s – called Beans – homes. They survive by borrowing only hat they need and trying to stay out of sight. This version features 14-year-old Arrietty who goes on her first “borrowing” with her father, learning to overcome obstacles we big Beans never even worry about.
In this bullet-point preview of Arrietty I offer my usual, slightly enigmatic and spoiler-free preview of the film. Come back to Gamertell when the film is officially released in theaters and I’ll post a full review.
- Voices include: Bridgit Mendler, Amy Poehler, Carol Burnett and Will Arnett.
- No John Goodman or af-faux hairstyles.
- It is not a musical.
- It is sweetness cubed. But not too sappy.
- Bits of Japanese but not so much that you won’t get the humor.
- Look at every detail (you’ll have plenty of time).
- Drink in the water drops.
- Enjoy nature.
- Very family friendly.
- (No “death by foot.”)
- Plenty of places for potty breaks.
- Grannies be crazies. (Or are they?)
- Miazaki sure loves animal skin capes.
- The pin is mightier…
- A basil leaf lasts how long!?
- Don’t Spiller the Beans. (Miso punny).
- Cats aren’t all bad.
- Borrowers aren’t dolls.
- Mom loves pot. And Pan.
- Walk gently and sweep your floor a little less often.
Site [Arrietty @ Disney]