There’s some rather sad news in from Nintendo today. The company likes to release preliminary release schedules for its games periodically, perhaps once or twice a year. It’s schedule for North America for the second half of 2012 has just come out and it isn’t very promising. In fact, it’s downright depressing as it looks like there are only four games with specific release windows and the rest have general launch schedules.
Here’s the list of forthcoming games, in order of when they’ll be released. In case you don’t already know, TBD means To Be Determined and Holiday means around Christmas.
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) – August 19, 2012
- Kirby’s Dream Collection Special Edition (Wii) – September 16, 2012
- Pokemon Black and White Versions 2 (DS) – October 7, 2012
- Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS) – November 2012
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) – Holiday
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS) – Holiday
- Animal Crossing (3DS) – TBD
- Art Academy (3DS) – TBD
- Lego City: Undercover (3DS) – TBD
- Super Smash Bros. (3DS) – TBD
- Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) – 2012/2013
Nintendo also has the 3DS XL debuting on August 19, 2012.
I’m guessing with this release schedule that “TBD” could very easily be substituted with “2013.” I am surprised to see Fire Emblem Awakening get a 2012 next to it, as I thought it was definitely a 2013 release.
I seriously doubt we have anything to be concerned about, even though that list is less than reassuring. Remember that the Wii U is supposed to be out before 2012 ends. There will likely be a handful of launch games released alongside it. Not to mention Pikmin 3 has always had a Q4 2012 launch window. I think Nintendo’s just being coy and teasing us.
Read [My Nintendo News]