Among a host of pre-CEDIA announcements, speaker manufacturer KEF introduced its new R Series speakers. The line includes nine models: three floorstanding; two bookshelf speakers; two fully-specifiied and timbre-matched center channels; dipole surrounds; and a powerful twin driver, 500 Watt subwoofer.
“The New R Series strikes the perfect balance between superb sound quality and affordability,” said Alec Chanin, president of KEF America. “The series incorporates many of the same technologies developed in our ground-breaking KEF Blade to offer those who appreciate great audio excellence and loudspeaker range that comes close to the performance of our Reference Series.”
The R Series line features new Uni-Q driver arrays, which combine with new bass drivers and other innovations to create a rich, spacious sound image. The Uni-Q MF/HF driver array ensures that midrange response is fast and clean. It uses a braced magnesium/aluminum alloy cone and Z-flex surround smoothing transition in the front panel and a sturdy, decoupled, die-cast aluminum chassis that prevents resonance being transferred to the cabinet.
The acoustic center of the midrange cone uses the same vented tweeter designed for the KEF Blade. A large neodymium magnet and a computer-optimized dome structure ensure that the tweeter operates pistonically over its entire working range.
KEF’s R Series speakers are priced individually or by pair, depending on how they are best implemented in a home theater.
- R500 — Three-way floor-standing speaker; Uni-Q driver array consists of 1” HF, 5” MF; Two 5.25” LF drivers. Retail: $1,299.99/each
- R700 — Three-way floor-standing speaker; Uni-Q driver array consists of 1” HF, 5” MF; Two 6.5” LF drivers Retail: $1,799.99/each
- R900 — Three-way floor-standing speaker; Uni-Q driver array consists of 1” HF, 5” MF; Two 8” LF driversRetail: $2,499.99/each
- R100 — Two-way bookshelf speaker; Uni-Q driver array: 1” HF, 5.25”MF. Retail: $1,199.99/pair
- R300 — Three-way bookshelf speaker; Uni-Q driver array consists of 1”HF, 5” MF; One 6.5” LF driver. Retail: $1,799.99/pair
- R200c — Three-way center channel speaker; Uni-Q driver array consists of 1” HF, 5” MF; Two 5.25” LF driversRetail: $999.99/each
- R600c — Three-way center channel speaker; Uni-Q driver array consists of 1” HF, 5” MF; Two 6.5” LF driversRetail: $1,499.99/each
- R800ds — Three-way dipole speaker; Contains two Uni-Q driver arrays, consisting of two 1” HFs, two 5.25” MF. Retail: $1,799.99/pair
- R400b — Powered subwoofer; Driver array: 9” LF. Retail: $1,699.99/each
KEF brings out its R Series in time with the company’s 50th anniversary celebration. Visit the KEF at CEDIA booth #3351. For more information on the R Series line, visit KEF on the web.