The sleek look of a flat panel HDTV is often negated by speakers that look like they’d fit better in a concert hall. To match the elegant look of a thin plasma or LCD TV, Monitor Audio offers its Shadow Series of speakers so thin they can mount on the wall with the TV.
Four models are available: the Shadow 25 satellite ($849/pair); Shadow 50 tower ($1,449/pair); Shadow 60 tower with a taller and more powerful structure ($1,649/pair); and Shadow centre ($799 each). The S25 satellite features a single 4-inch flat RDT bass mid-range driver, 1-inch C-CAM dome tweeter sealed in an enclosure. The S25 is wall-mountable, but comes with a metal desktop (or bookshelf) stand. The Shadow 50 tower is built with dual 4-inch RDT drivers and a 1-inch C-CAM tweeter. Two flat ABR (auxiliary bass radiator) drivers handle bass loading. The S50 pair is intended for use with up to a 50-inch video display where it can flank the HDTV on the wall and share the same height. The S60 suits screen sizes in excess of 50-inches. The pair features a dual D’appolito driver arrangement, high power handling and high sensitivity produces high SPL and low distortion. The S60 has additional cabinet volume and differently tuned ABR drivers, which enhance the low frequency performance. Shadow Centre uses the same driver unit as the S50 and S60, though it’s optimized for use as a dedicated center speaker.
The surround sound Shadow Series has several distinct features, in addition to the 40mm depth.
- 4-inch low profile bass-midrange drivers featuring flat RDT sandwich diaphragm constructed from C-CAM and Rohacell materials.
- Special ‘concertina’ driver suspension arrangement. Provides high excursion from a low profile assembly.
- Unique floating driver mounting. Drivers are bolted to the rear cabinet and de-couple from the baffle on a neoprene airtight seal.
- 4-inch low profile ABR drivers (S50/S60/Centre) handle bass.
- Specially developed 1-inch C-CAM tweeter design features a unique venting rear loading chamber. The low resonance design provides clean, pure sound at a lower frequency crossover point.
- Aluminum Extruded cabinet construction. One piece alloy extrusion provides slim profile, maximizes internal cabinet volume and provides high rigidity to prevent resonance.
- Ultra slim depth, 40 mm (1 1/2-inch) to compliment the slimmist TV screens.
- Flat-to-wall attachment. No additional bracket depth provides quick and easy installation.
- Invisible cable entry and connection. Provides easy installation and connection.
- Designed and tuned to provide optimum sound quality when flush wall mounted.
- Removable magnetic grille assembly. Designed to provide low sonic intrusion.
- Matt black finish.
Find more info at Monitor Audio