I’m torn. On the one hand, obvious double-dips are bad. Very bad.
On the other hand… WANT!
Yes, I already have Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season on Blu-ray. No, this new set doesn’t include anything the last one didn’t have, except a paperweight and a prettier box. (Well, unless you count the DVD and digital copy, as well as the first episode of Season Two on Blu-ray, the rest of which won’t be released until March-ish of next year).
But, still! Dragon egg! If you’re gonna try to get A Song of Ice and Fire geeks to drop three pennies shy of a hundred bucks on a paperweight, making it a dragon egg is the way to do it! (Okay, to be fair, you could just drop $45 on the dragon egg itself, but surely the new box is worth a buck or two, right?)
In case you don’t already have the first Blu-ray set, or if you just ran and threw it away because it simply can’t compare to this collector’s edition, here’s what’s included in terms of extras:
- Complete Guide to Westeros – an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one.
- Making Game of Thrones -an exclusive 30-minute feature including never-before-seen footage from the set and interviews from the cast and crew.
- Character Profiles – profiles of 15 major characters as described by the actors portraying them.
- Creating the Show Open – an inside look at the creation of the Emmy®-winning opening title sequence for Game of Thrones
- From the Book to the Screen – executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss along with author George R.R. Martin talk about the challenges of bringing Martin’s epic fantasy novel to life on HBO.
- The Night’s Watch – an in-depth look at the unique order of men who patrol and protect the Wall, a 700-foot ice structure that separates the Seven Kingdoms from the darkness beyond.
- Creating the Dothraki Language – an insightful glance into the comprehensive language created for the Dothraki people in Game of Thrones.
- Audio Commentaries – Seven audio commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Mark Addy, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Bryan Cogman, Harry Lloyd, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor.
Blu-ray goodies–all of that, plus:
- Blu-ray Complete Guide to Westeros – an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one, PLUS 24 exclusive histories of the Seven Kingdoms as told by the characters themselves done with animated illustrations that provide more information on the background of Game of Thrones.
- In-Episode Guide – in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations, and relevant histories while each episode plays.
- Anatomy of an Episode – an in-episode experience that explores the creative minds and colossal efforts behind episode six, “A Golden Crown.”
- Hidden Dragon Eggs – find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.
Look for the new Collector’s Edition set to hit shelves (real and virtual) on November 20 for $99.97 retail