Olive Media, Inc. — makers of the ridiculously beloved (but also incredibly expensive) HD Music System — today unveiled a new player: the Olive One. In and of itself, this would be an interesting story. The new player boasts a sleek design, a gorgeous interface, and incredible specs, including a 32-bit/384kHz Burr- Brown DAC with dual HD amplifiers; support for MP3, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, and AAC, with Pandora and Spotify included out of the box; built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi support; and optional built-in hard drive storage ranging from 500GB to 2.5TB.
What makes it really interesting is the price — $399 — and the fact that Olive is crowdsourcing this one.
The campaign is running now on Indiegogo, and more than just an early funding avenue, Olive is asking contributors for design feedback, and trying to get developers involved ahead of the July 2013 launch. The company has also introduced a few interesting flex goals to the campaign, as well, including:
- We will use the first $200,000 raised through the campaign to buy tooling and enhance our build-to-order manufacturing in San Francisco. For cost-efficient manufacturing of the aluminum enclosure we need an expensive die cast tooling, and there are additional tools for the glass plate, connectors and cabling that add up quickly.
- If we reach our extended goal of $500,000 we will expand our US team by 3 software engineers to accelerate and implement the features you request, and the crowd has voted for.
- Get us to $650,000 and we will give every ONE free shipping.*
- At $750,000 we will upgrade every backer to an extended 2 year warranty, up from the standard 1 year.*
- We love the benefits of a built-in Hard Disk Drive. If we reach $850,000 we will upgrade every backer with a ONE to a version with a hard drive. The ones that already got theirs with a hard drive will be upgraded to the next bigger capacity.*
- At the goal of $1,000,000 we will we able to purchase some of the specialized machinery, equipment and hire additional staff required to customize some components of the Olive ONE to your personal preference.
If you’re interested, check out more the Olive ONE Indiegogo page for more details.