Okay, so it’s a bit late for our “‘Tis the Season” series that ran over the holidays, when every manufacturer seemed to be touting crash test results at the same time, but it’s interesting nonetheless: The Audi A6 and S6 are the only German midsize luxury cars to get a five-star NHTSA crash test rating.
The press release from Audi said the cars earned five-star frontal, side, and rollover ratings on its way to a five-star overall score. See video of the frontal crash test here, then watch the side impact crash here. You can also see video of the side pole crash test here.
Audi of America President Scott Keogh said, “When Audi engineers set out to make the A6 and S6 models unsurpassed in their class they made safety one of their first priorities. The 5-star rating affirms that commitment to our customers and vehicle safety.”
In the press release, Audi outlined a host of safety technologies in the A6 and S6 that should help vehicle occupants not just survive crashes, but also avoid getting into them in the first place:
Key standard safety systems include:
– Impact protection, including reinforced high-strength steel and aluminum, reinforced bumpers and a rigid occupant cell as well as relying on extensive crash test modeling contribute to the 5-star rating.
– Hydraulic brake assist, standard equipment in every A6 and S6, that automatically senses emergency braking and applies maximum available power boost to reduce overall stopping distance
– Front, side, head curtain and knee airbags, along with front passenger occupant detection are standard equipment in every A6 and S6
– Crash sensors that automatically unlock doors, activate interior lighting and hazard warning lights, and switches off the fuel pump and engine
– Front three-point safety belts w/ automatic pretensioning and force limiters